How to Make a Duct Tape Trick or Treat Bag
Ducktivity provided by Duck® Brand
Leave your pillowcase in the closet and keep your books in your book bags. Instead, trick-or-treaters can tote a brown paper bag from the local grocery store with a little more spook and spirit. With these instructions, you can take one of Halloween’s traditional representative items – candy corn – and put it to work as a trick or treat candy bag!
Open your brown paper bag and cut down one of the vertical seams. Then, cut the bottom off of the bag. Lay the bag out horizontally on your workspace.
You can also turn the brown paper bag into a trick-or-treat sack to go along with any costume – scary or cute! Here’s how:
· Trim your bag to the desired shape – leave it as a rectangle, round off the top, or cut off some of the top to make a square.
· Instead of creating the candy corn look, cover the outside of the brown paper bag with your favorite colors of duct tape.
· Use black and white duct tape to make a checkered flag for a racecar driver or;
· Use red with yellow polka dots to go along with a clown costume or;
· Use an orange bag with black cut-out eyes and mouth and a green handle for a jack-o-lantern.
Add a handle and a few strips of Reflective Tape for safety, then it’s off through the neighborhoods!
Brown paper grocery bag Scissors Colored Duck® brand duct tape Duck® brand Reflective Tape
Brown paper grocery bag
Colored Duck® brand duct tape
Duck® brand Reflective Tape
Cover one side of the bag with three large stripes of orange, yellow and white duct tape.
· To cover, cut a strip of duct tape and tape it to the bag.
· Repeat with additional strips of duct tape, slightly overlapping each piece of tape.
· Make three stripes: yellow on the bottom, orange in the middle, and white on top.
· Trim off excess duct tape.
Hint: Covering the bag completely with duct tape will make it stronger, which means you can carry more candy!
Roll the bag into a cone shape, duct tape side out. To make a smaller bag, roll the cone tightly; for a larger bag, roll the cone loosely.
Secure the inner seam of your trick or treat bag with a strip of duct tape. Then, tape down the outer seam using your colored duct tape – matching the colors as you seal.
Hint: You may need to trim a little bit off the top of your bag to give it a conic look.
Close the bottom of the bag by cutting small slits into the end. Fold the small edges over onto each other and secure with a couple small pieces of tape.
For the handle, make a double-sided duct tape strip to your desired length. Attach the handle to the inside of the bag using strips of duct tape. For safety, add a strip or two of Reflective Tape to the handle or side panels of your bag
To make a double-sided strip:
· Cut two pieces of duct tape to the desired length.
· Lay one strip sticky side up on your work surface.
· Place the second strip on top, sticky side down.