General Contest Information
What are the entry requirements?Each entrant must submit:
- One high-resolution color photograph to be judged for the contest of a real or artificial (fake) pumpkin decorated with duct tape.
- The entrant's full name, address, telephone number, email address (if applicable, and age).
- Any entries that are incomplete will not be posted.
- Entries that infringe on or are based on the work of a third party are subject to disqualification.
- Contest opens: September 4, 2012
- Contest ends: November 1, 2012
- Judges selection of winners: November 13, 2012
- Notification of winners: November 14, 2012
- Announcement of winners on web site and via news release: November 15, 2012
How does the judging work?A panel of judges selected by ShurTech Brands, LLC, will score each photo entry based on the criteria below:
- Originality (40%) - Originality will be judged based on the uniqueness, inventiveness, creativity and original thought of the Jack-O-Lantern.
- Workmanship (30%) - Workmanship will be judged based on the quality, neatness and attention to detail given in creating the Jack-O-Lantern.
- Use of Color (20%) - Use of Color will be judged based on the combination, integration and harmony of colors used to create the Jack-O-Lantern.
- Use of Duct Tape(10%) - Use of Duct Tape will be judged based on how duct tape is used to construct the Jack-O-Lantern.
Can I use copyrighted material for my Duck® tape Jack-O-Lantern?
No. Any submissions using copyrighted material will be disqualified at the discretion of our Stick or Treat and legal teams and will not be posted to the online gallery. If you're on the fence about whether your potential submission constitutes copyright infringement, see "How do I know if I'm infringing on copyrighted material" or Contact Us.
How do I know if I'm infringing on copyrighted material?
As a general rule, if someone else created it, you cannot use it as your submission. This includes printed templates of characters from movies, books, video games, team logos or mascots, or TV shows. While copyrighted material may make for an awesome Jack-O-Lantern creation, your submission will be subject to disqualification at the discretion of our Stick or Treat and legal teams, and will not be posted to the online gallery. When in doubt, you can Contact Us and ask us about your idea before you start your Duck Tape® Jack-O-Lantern.DO NOT use images or likenesses from any of the following:
- Video games
- Printed material (books, comic books, magazines, etc)
- Movies or television shows
- Existing works of art
- Sports teams/logos
- Logos of any kind
Are you sure I can't use copyrighted material?
We're sure, so don't do it. You spent a lot of time and effort on your submission and it breaks our hearts a little when we have to disqualify submissions, so stay clear of all copyrighted material. If you're truly stumped about whether a concept you're considering constitutes copyright infringement, feel free to Contact Us.
What are the prizes?
- First Prize: $1,000.00 cash prize
- Second Prize: $500.00 cash prize
- Third Prize: $250.00 cash prize
When will the winners be announced?
Winners will be announced via news release and posted on the www.duckbrand.com web site on or about November 15, 2012.
Carving vs. using duct tape
Can I still carve my pumpkin?
Yes. You can still carve your pumpkin; however, the use of duct tape is one of the judging criteria, so don't get too carried away with the carving knives.
Real vs. Artificial
Does my pumpkin have to be real?
No. There are many stores around the fall season that carry plastic or foam pumpkins. These types can be kept forever, instead of having to be thrown away once they become rotten like a real pumpkin.
Traditional vs. Your Own Creation
Do I have to create a traditional Jack-O-Lantern face to enter?
No. This contest allows you to explore the depths of your imagination to design a face, pattern or scene that is both family friendly (no inappropriate or suggestive designs, please) and not a copyrighted work. Duck Tape® brand duct tape comes in more than 30 different colors and prints, and also sheets, so use these to your advantage as well!